There is nothing worse than a DISRUPTIVE CLASS. One kid can ruin an entire class, not just for a day, but for a school year. Once you have a student disrupting the class, more will follow. One disruptive kids will lead to two, three, and so on. Soon you will have an entire class being rowdy and out of control. There is hope though …..
- CREATE A POSITIVE RELATIONSHIP WITH THE WHOLE CLASS.
- DON’T YELL WHEN MEETING THE NEW KIDS.
- MAKE YOUR FIRST 7 SECONDS POSITIVE – NOT NEGATIVE.
- IF YOU TRY AND CONTROL THE KIDS FROM THE GET GO, YOU WILL FAIL.
Now if you didn’t do any of these and the class is now Hell, do this:
- START AGAIN WITH THE KIDS. LET THEM KNOW THIS ATMOSPHERE WON’T WORK AND YOU WANT TO MAKE A NEW START.
- WIN OVER THE DISRUPTIVE FORCES. MAKE THEM LEADERS (SOUNDS CRAZY, BUT PUT THEM IS A POSITION TO LEAD).
- STOP WORRYING ABOUT CURRICULUM, MEET THE CLASS.
- LISTEN TO THE KIDS, UNDERSTAND THEM AND WHAT MAKES THEM TICK.
- CREATE A PROJECT WHERE THE “ONCE” DISRUPTIVE FORCES LEAD.
*** YOU WILL ALSO WANT TO WATCH “TO SIR, WITH LOVE” (1967)
How To Calm a Disruptive Class